The IMI Assessment is a national voluntary scheme that tests the competency of refinishers working in bodyshops. Certain insurance companies require bodyshops to have a minimum of two IMI accredited refinishers on their staff to obtain insurance approval. This also applies to professional bodyshops with BS 10125 certification.
The Cromax Training Academy in Welwyn Garden City is an IMI Approved Assessment Centre for both paint technician and senior paint technician levels. It prepares all candidates during a pre-assessment day to give them a good idea of what to expect in the test. Upon successful completion of the practical assessments and on-line knowledge test(s), Cromax is authorised to award IMI accreditation and to issue paint technicians with the IMI photo identity card which is valid for three years.
Re-accreditation for Senior Paint Technicians
Senior Paint technicians who require re-accreditation before expiry of their previous IMI accreditation can take part in a one-day assessment covering one module and an on-line test consisting of 10 multiple choice questions:
AOM-226: Application and Blending of a 3 Stage Pearlescent Finish.
• To match and mix the colours to the correct shade and in accordance with the paint manufacturer's data sheets.
• To demonstrate how to prepare a vehicle panel to receive foundation primer.
• To demonstrate masking techniques on panel surfaces.
• To demonstrate how to apply and cure primers.
• To demonstrate primer preparation to accept topcoats.
• To demonstrate how to identify the number of pearlescent coats which are required to replicate the original colour and shade.
• To demonstrate the application of a 3 stage pearlescent finish.
• To demonstrate blending techniques when applying ground and pearlescent coats.
• To demonstrate how to rectify minor surface defects by using sanding and polishing techniques.
£400 + VAT
All overalls, whites, personal protective equipment, course material for practical and theoretical sessions will be provided. Candidates should bring safety footwear, prescription safety glasses if required, as well as a copy of their photo driving licence or passport and a copy of their current in date accreditation badge.